One electrocuted in Lodwar

Aerial view of River Turkwel near Lodwar town. PHOTO BY KEITH LOYAPAN

One electrocuted in Lodwar

BY TURKANA GUARDIAN CORRESPONDENT
LODWAR, TURKANA CENTRAL
One person was electrocuted and
another hospitalized after they came
into contact with low electric power
lines while swimming in River
Turkwel.

Aerial view of River Turkwel near Lodwar town. PHOTO By KEITH LOYAPAN

Aerial view of River Turkwel near Lodwar town. PHOTO By KEITH LOYAPAN

Dr. Gilchrist Lokoel, the medical
superintendent of Lodwar County
and Referral Hospital explained that
Joshua Ng’asike, the deceased, is
said to have touched the electric
wires and was instantly electrocuted.
His brother Rashid Natelengu, 17,
tried to help his brother out but was
thrown out of the water.
“The 20-year old is said to have
caught the wires and was instantly
electrocuted. His brother tried to
help him out but was jolted out,” said
Dr. Lokoel.
Shukri Abdi, the boy’s mother said
she was away when the incident hap-
pened. She said she had gone to town
to get a vehicle so that they could
travel to Lokiriama but her trip was
cut short when she received a call
urging her to go back home.
“I was in town fuelling the car
that was to take us to Lokiriama as
schools are soon opening. I received
a call from home urging me to rush
back as something bad had happened.
I rushed back and was shocked to
hear my friends wailing and shouting
that Joshua was dead,” said Shukri.
When she got home she was
shocked when she saw her son being
carried to the ambulance. She was
more devastated when she saw the
body of her other son being brought
to the house.
“Everyone was confused and we
were not sure whether he was dead
or not. Some were saying that he
was still breathing while others said
he was not. We decided to bring him
to the hospital for confirmation,”
said Shukri.
Lokoel added that the 20 year-
old was pronounced dead on arrival
while his brother was admitted as he
suffered shock but had no physical
injuries.
Ng’asike’s body was later trans-
ferred to the hospital mortuary.
Locals have urged the Kenya Power
and Lighting Company to straighten
the lines to avoid any casualties.






Leave a Reply